PetSmart Sued for Hamster Blamed in Deaths of Three People:
A woman whose husband died after receiving a liver transplant infected with a rodent virus is suing PetSmart Inc., claiming the chain should have warned customers that hamsters can carry the virus.
The federal lawsuit alleges Thomas Magee, 54, and two other organ recipients died after transplants from a woman who had contracted a virus from a hamster she bought at a PetSmart store in Warwick, R.I.
Bruce Richardson, a spokesman for the Phoenix-based chain, would not comment on the lawsuit Wednesday but said the virus is rare.
"It's not a common disease in pets. It's not something that's tested routinely by us or others," Richardson said.
The virus usually only causes 'flu-like symptoms' but it can be much more serious when people with weakened immune systems come into contact with it. Moral of the story: Avoid cheap pets at all costs.